Thursday, July 17, 2008

why i have little faith in the police

Yesterday I phoned the police to report a “hit and run”. I got to the main switchboard, explained my errand whereas I was put on hold for a while. Then a different lady came on the phone, asked me about my errand and I explained.

“Oh”, she said, “you’ve got the wrong department. Please hold the line”.

I waited for a good 10 minutes. Then a bored-sounding man answered the phone. I started explaining my errand, whereas he said “wait, hold on, what did you say your name was?”

I told him.

“Ok, and your phonenumber?” he asked.

I told him.

“Ok, I’ll phone you back in about 15 minutes” he said.

I asked if he didn’t know what I wanted to report? He said no and hung up.

Needless to say, the unresponsive copper didn’t phone back yesterday, and hence I started all over again today:

After being put on hold, redirected to a different department 4 times today I ended up speaking to a pleasant man who actually let me tell my story. “But” he said “ then you need to phone 114 14”.

I screamed in fear of him putting me on hold whilst trying to connect me to this number – it was the first number I dialled and I just couldn’t face starting all over one more time!

The policeman laughed. “ Don’t worry” he said reassuringly as I explained the reason for my panic attack “tell me from start to finish and I’ll see how I can help you”.

I did. He wrote a report. Then I asked for his name and direct number in case I ever wanted to report anything ever again. I guess he must be the only copper in Sweden with a sence of what customer service really is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment