Friday, October 17, 2008

one of those moments

A few years ago, I decided to celebrate Christmas on my own, and borrowed a friend's flat in the middle of the city centre for the week. I packed a little suitcase and took the 15 minute train into the city.

Walking up a set of stairs in a park (at Medborgarplatsen) I walked pass a couple of rough-looking drunks who were sharing a spliff judging by the smell.

I remember feeling so excited about being "on holiday" in Stockholm over Christmas - no need to see or talk to people, no present shopping, no family arguments or Crimbo food. Just me, a couple of good books and solitude. I was increadably happy. And so as I walked pass those drunks I gave them both a big smile. I was wearing a red beret and a red, wooly coat and one of the guys started singning

Lady in reeeed

and I filled in the next line:

she doesn't smoke pot!

The drunks looked at me. They had been caught smoking weed. A split second I saw fear in their eyes, then they both burst out laughing. Me too. We wished each other merry Christmas and I have to say it was one of those rare, genuine moments. And just the thought of it still makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment